Friday, January 20, 2012

christmastime crafts.

Although this wasn't a big crafting season, I was able to finish a few projects.  For my work holiday party, my good friends Reetu and Laura helped me put together these centerpieces.  Thanks to Pinterest for the idea!  I took wine and beer bottles (labels on or off, it doesn't really matter), spray painted them with white primer, and let them dry for several hours.  Then applied Modge Podge to the bottles and rolled them in Epsom salt mixed with silver and gold glitter.  Platters and ornaments are from the dollar store.  Quick and easy, and looked great on red table cloths! 


You'll see a theme in my craft endeavors this year, most came from Pinteresting.  For a few friends, I decided to make lightweight infinity scarves, something that would work both in our cold Pacific Northwest winters and cool summer nights.  I used a brown linnen fabric, and a border of blue or white poms.  There were some tricks and turns to be overcome during this project, but in the end I was happy with how they turned out!


I've been wanting to make body scrub for a while now.  It's always shocking to me that a tub of this stuff runs $10 - $15 at body shops.  That's a lot for body scrub! So I used a few different recipes, added and took away, and came up with a Lemon-Brown Sugar Body Scrub.  Ingredients are as follows: Lemon peal, lemon juice, brown sugar, regular sugar, and safflower oil.  I just mixed all ingredients, adding a little here and a little there, until i seemed to have the right consistency.  I suppose you could use any oil you want, I chose safflower for a less potent smell than, say, olive or vegetable.  Of course, I had to sample the product before I gifted the jars.  Although you have to give it a quick mix before each use (easily done by hand in the shower), in my opinion, this stuff works great! Try it out!



I did make my momma something for Christmas too, but as usual, I gifted it before I got photos of it!  I'll have to get ahold of it again and snap some photos, so be on the look out for those!

-shauna

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the body scrub!!! So good! Plus, your collage wall turned out amazing! Very nice use of contrast!

    ReplyDelete